If you’re one of the 11 million Americans caring for a loved one with Alzheimer’s or other dementias, you can probably do with all the help you can get. A daily routine is essential for effective Alzheimer’s care. Routines are comforting because they are familiar and create a sense of expectation. They offer security and reduce anxiety in Alzheimer’s patients and they make it easier for the caregiver to plan the day.
The routine will have to change as memory loss progresses and, at some stage, you will also need help from Avida senior care in East Bay.
Daily Routine Tips for Alzheimer’s Care
Here are some suggestions for your Alzheimer’s care routine.
- Keep the routine constant –try to stick with your loved one’s preferences in developing the routine. If, for example, they usually bathe before bedtime, keep the routine the same. Make set bedtimes and mealtimes. Familiar routines help people with Alzheimer’s meet expectations.
- Let them help – allow your loved one to help with small household tasks like folding laundry. Even if they don’t get it quite right, thank and praise them. A job well-accomplished will help to boost their self-esteem.
- Give your loved one choices – instill a sense of purpose and belonging by allowing your loved one to make simple choices like what to eat or wear.
- Find interesting pastimes – banish boredom. Encourage interests in hobbies like dancing or pets. Include exercise in the routine. Exercise is a great way to improve emotional and physical well-being.
- Invite family and friends to drop in – social interactions will add interest to your lives. It will also help to keep your loved one motivated and part of the community.
Help is at Hand – Get Alzheimer’s Care from Avida in East Bay
It isn’t easy looking after an Alzheimer’s patient, and it is crucial that you care for yourself too. Watching a loved one slowly lose their memory and abilities, so it’s good to know that you can get help with elderly care from Avida East Bay. The Avida Alzheimer’s caregivers are professionally trained and they’re caring, friendly people.
Give us a call before stress and anxiety take a toll on your health. The team at Avida East Bay is here to help.