As our parents age, it’s natural to worry about how they’ll get on by themselves once their memory begins to fade and their bodies begin to weaken. As a good son or daughter, you may be willing to take on the task of caring for your parent(s) yourself. Unfortunately, this isn’t always feasible as you have your own life to tend to. While at first, you may be able to drop in a few times a week to “check on things,” eventually your mom or dad may need round-the-clock care. What will you do?
Many elderly people and their families often turn to nursing homes for the constant care they need. This isn’t always an ideal solution, and luckily, there is an alternative in Walnut Creek: in-home care.
In-Home Care in Walnut Creek
Rather than go to live in a nursing home, your senior loved one remains in the comfort of their home and a caregiver comes in to help with daily activities such as dressing, bathing, cooking, errands, and more. You can receive this assistance on a part-time or full-time basis. Elderly care in your Walnut Creek home is a great way for your loved one to retain their independence and still be under the watchful eye of a caregiver day and night.
Why In-Home Care is Better Than a Nursing Home
Aside from the obvious fact that your loved one gets to remain at home, here are a few more reasons to choose in-home care rather than nursing home care.
- One-on-one care. An in-home caregiver provides individualized, focused care for your senior. In a nursing home, residents outnumber staff, so your loved one will have to wait his turn.
- Your loved one will be more comfortable at home.
- Seniors who remain at home tend to be healthier and live longer than residents of nursing homes.
- Patients tend to recover from injury and illness faster at home versus in a hospital or nursing facility.
- In-home care in your Walnut Creek home is likely less expensive than living in a nursing home.
These are but a few of the reasons in-home care is better for your senior loved one than moving them into a nursing facility. For more information on elderly care in the Walnut Creek area, contact Avida Home Care today.